Patent Research Technician
Bigelow Laboratory for Ocean Sciences invites applications for a Patent Research Technician. This entry-level position will primarily be responsible for processing bio-material deposits associated with patent filings submitted to the National Center for Marine Algae and Microbiota (NCMA). The successful candidate will also be responsible for working with NCMA curators to conduct specific research experiments as assigned by the NCMA Director. This is a full-time (37.5hours/week) position with an ideal start date of July 1, 2022. The salary band for this position starts at $20/hour, with a generous benefits package including health care, retirement contribution, and paid time off.
- A Bachelor’s degree or possess equivalent experience in a field of biological, chemical, or other environmental sciences at the time of hire;
- Demonstrated strong oral and written communication skills, including ability to document daily activities;
- A high level of self-confidence, demonstrated strong organizational skills, and superior attention to detail;
- The ability to implement above-average laboratory recordkeeping practices, and develop and enforce laboratory safety guidelines; and
- Possess basic skills in a laboratory setting, preferably with explicit experience in biological or chemical sciences.
- Communicate, on behalf of NCMA, with existing and new entities looking to deposit agricultural seeds and plant bio-materials associated with their patent filings.
- Accept deposits of agricultural seeds and plant bio-materials, including the processing, recordkeeping, and filing of appropriate paperwork.
- Conduct bio-material viability testing appropriate for agricultural seeds and plant deposits, including data recordkeeping, documentation and filing of paperwork.
- Responsible for general lab management and good laboratory practices, including but not limited to relevant supplies stocking, chemical/materials preparation, cleaning of glassware/equipment.
- Participate in the respond-to-alarm rotation with the other NCMA/CAI staff related to the NCMA core culture collection.
- Work on proprietary research efforts requiring heightened sensitivities to intellectual property protections.
- Report any potential or perceived violations of applicable laws, rules, or Laboratory policies to the immediate supervisor, CEO, the Director of Human Resources, or the Vice President for Research and Administration as appropriate.
Applicants should submit the following materials in one combined PDF to our online application portal:
- A one-page cover letter describing interest in the position;
- A detailed curriculum vitae or resume specifically highlighting experience in the stated requirements; and
- Contact information for three references.
For full consideration, the application should be received by 11:59 PM EDT Sunday, May 15, 2022. Review of applicants will begin immediately thereafter. The search will continue until the position is filled.
Individuals seeking more information about this position or needing to request an accommodation, please contact [email protected] or (207) 315-2567, ext. 107.
Working at Bigelow Laboratory
Bigelow Laboratory is an inclusive community of scientists from around the world that welcomes and supports diverse opinions and cultures. Bigelow Laboratory for Ocean Sciences strives to maintain an environment that allows our employees to flourish through respectful, inclusive, and equitable treatment of others. We believe there is power in embracing the full diversity of humanity to advance science and are committed to supporting each other as individuals worthy of respect. Bigelow Laboratory is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.
Bigelow Laboratory for Ocean Sciences requires that all employees be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Being fully vaccinated means that an individual is at least two weeks past their final dose of an authorized COVID-19 vaccine regimen. As a condition of employment, newly hired employees will be required to provide proof of their COVID-19 vaccination.